Building & Contents

Protect your house and valuables.


What is buildings and contents insurance?

There are three types of buildings and contents insurance policies including building insurance, contents insurance, and combined buildings and contents insurance.

Building insurance protects the structure of your home and permanent fixtures and fittings, such as doors and baths, in case of damage caused by events such as storms, flooding, fire, vandalism, escaping water, and subsidence.

Meanwhile, contents insurance covers your household items and personal belongings, including cash, jewellery, and electrical equipment, in case of damage or loss caused by events such as fire, theft, or flooding.

Combined buildings and contents insurance allows you to acquire both buildings and contents insurance under one policy from the same provider which can be more convenient if you need to make a claim.


How does buildings and contents insurance work?

Buildings and contents insurance is designed to make your life easier in case of unexpected events such as burglary, fire, or flooding.

There are various factors to take into consideration when working out how much buildings and contents insurance you need, including the cost of rebuilding your home, the details of your property’s build date, the date you purchased your property, the number of locks and alarms on your property and the total cost of your personal belongings.

Typically, if you need to make a claim, you will receive either the cost of any necessary repairs or replacement contents or else replacement contents of the same value.


Do I need buildings and contents insurance?

Buildings and contents insurance are not legal requirements, however, by having buildings and contents insurance both your property and valuables will be protected in case something unexpected happens.

Indeed, if you have a mortgage, your mortgage provider may insist that you have buildings insurance in place for the length of your mortgage.

It is also a good idea to take out buildings and contents insurance if you are a homeowner, and do not have a mortgage, as otherwise, you are solely responsible for any damage to your home or theft of your valuables which can be very expensive to fix or replace.

However, we normally only recommend buildings insurance or combined buildings and contents insurance for people who own the freehold of their homes. If you do need both buildings and contents insurance, buying a combined buildings and contents insurance policy can be cheaper and much easier to manage if you need to make a claim regarding both the structure and contents of your home.

If you rent or own the lease only, then you do not need buildings insurance, as either your landlord or freeholder is usually responsible for insuring the building itself, and we recommend contents insurance only.

Indeed, contents insurance can protect what makes your house a home and give you peace of mind when you need it most.

If you are interested in acquiring buildings and contents insurance or are still unsure if it is necessary for your particular circumstances, please contact us today to speak to an advisor and discuss your requirements.

Alternatively, we also offer other types of insurance that can protect your belongings and property that you may be interested in, including Landlord Insurance.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.